On October 6th, 2017, BC will light up green
World Cerebral Palsy Day is a global movement of people with cerebral palsy and their families, and the organisations that support them, in more than 60 countries. The day is an opportunity to celebrate, raise awareness and take action to ensure that people with CP have the same rights, access and opportunity as anyone else in their communities. World CP Day is sponsored by The Allergan Foundation.
Visit us again closer to the date to see how we’ll be making this year’s World CP Day the best one yet.
For more information on World CP Day 2017, contact:
World Cerebral Palsy Day 2016 Recap
In recognition of World CP Day 2016, the Government of British Columbia and cities and towns across the province agreed to proclaim “World CP Day” and the province’s major landmarks that lit up green, the official colour of CP.
This map shows the governments that proclaimed World CP Day and the landmarks that were lit up on October 5th.
How to use the map: You can zoom in or out. Click any icon to show more about that proclamation or landmark. Click the button in the top left to bring up a list of all of the locations recognizing World CP Day.
World Cerebral Palsy Day is a social movement of, by and for the CP community. World CP Day encourages action taken locally to help realize the global movement for change.
Watch: Melissa and Wyatt De Groot ask Fort St John city council to proclaim World CP Day.
Watch: Crystal Gustafuson asks Kamloops city council to proclaim World CP Day.
To ensure that individuals with Cerebral Palsy have the same rights, access and opportunities as anyone else.
Why do we want to raise awareness?
Cerebral palsy (CP) is the most common physical disability in childhood and is also one of the least understood. Here are reasons why we need to raise awareness:
- Doctors are reluctant to make a diagnosis
- Many people receive ineffective therapies
- Many individuals and their families lack access to basic information and support
- Little money is being spent on research
- Many societies keep people with CP out of sight, out of mind and out of options
Let’s take action
On World CP Day, we will combine our resources, energy and knowledge to share our stories and ideas.
We will tell the world … I AM HERE … WE ARE HERE
I Am Here
- Your success stories and solutions can be applied in other places. Encourage others like you to overcome challenges. Add your story to the World CP Day Map.
- Whether you promote World CP Day in your office, on the streets, or via social media, every effort counts. Use the tools to take action in your town, city or country.
We Are Here
Help make World CP Day 2016 a success in your area.
- Write to your politicians and local media to let them know about World CP Day and any landmarks being lit up where you live.
- Take a picture of yourself on World CP Day and share it with #WorldCPDay to help raise awareness.
- Use the World CP Day tools to help spread the word.